Are you ‘TOM‘ to your clients and prospects? If you are asking what ‘TOM’ is…then, keep reading!!!
TOM is ‘Top of Mind’. Your current clients, colleagues, family, friends, service organizations, church family, associations, fellow board members, referral sources and your prospects should all have YOU at the ‘Top of THEIR Mind’ on a regular basis. Why?
Business boils down to 2 basic fundamentals. Building relationships and timing.
If you are building relationships on a consistent basis, when the timing is right…the business comes to you!
How do I build relationships? That’s another blog – for today’s message, I’m assuming you have a core group of contacts that you have build relationships with both, in your industry and those who compliment what you do.
How do you stay ‘Top of Mind’? It really is as simple as sending a card a day! You don’t need to send a card to everyone you know everyday, but at least send one card a day to one person. But, there are some rules….
- The card can not be to sell them your products or service. This card is a mechanism for communication.
- What do I say in the card? You can send them a card that includes some interesting information, facts or quotes from an article that relates to their business or industry. These are my favorite, because it is all about THEM! People are always tuned into the radio station WIFM…’What’s in it for me’. They will tend to not only READ the card, but remember YOU sent it to them.
- Can I promote me (not sell)? Yes, if kept on the sincere level that you are truly communicating information and not selling directly to them. For example… “Hi Robert, This is fun times in the market isn’t it? I just wanted to keep you in the loop of the exciting times we are having at XYZ Real Estate Company. We have proudly brought on board 3 new associates to our team. This will assist our company to continue our superior customer service service, providing qualified buyers and bringing together the right team of professionals in making the entire transaction benefit all the best way possible. We appreciate working with your great team at ABC Mortgage Company and know that we are continuing to work daily on what we do best that we can service your clients the best we can. Keep in touch and hope to see you again soon.”
- Send a card when they least expect it. 93% of all mail is either bills or junk mail. Make their day by sending a REAL card. I promise…that will be the FIRST piece of mail they open!
- What is an unexpected card? This absolutely does not include your business card, logo, latest sale or promotion. Send a ‘thought of you today’, “Happy Monday”, Trick-or-Treat”, “April Fools”, Summer is here” card…whatever you can think of that would be unexpected. Be creative. My favorite was the “Trick-or-Treat” card. How many adults receive that kind of card? My message was….”There’s no “trick”, just thought I’d “treat” you with this fun card today. Have an awesome day!”
- Give to Give. Send these cards with the intention to GIVE, not get anything in return. When you give, you forget. When you receive you remember.
- It’s the little things that make a BIG difference.
How are you staying TOP OF MIND to those you want to do business with, generate more referrals, let those you care about know you care about them, and how about your current clients? Do they know you still think about them and how much you value their loyalty?
Send a card a day…it keeps the competitor away…and so much more!